Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Taking PE/Health students to CF

Last week, we took the Health and PE students to the School in order to expose them to what we were doing. It was interesting because it reminded me of our first trip and how I felt/thought. On the ride there, I asked the student sitting next to me what it was that he expected to see and experience when we got there. I figured that he might have some preconceptions and I was right, he said that he knew about District C's history and I agreed, but I reassured him that he would be surprised when we got there. I used the experience as almost like a day of research for my own personal use. I wanted to know how a persons preconceptions changed after experiencing something first hand. Anyway, so through out the day I asked him if he was surprised and he said yes, and even that his school was in some ways "worse" than this one, that his school was more rowdy and disorganized. This was a pleasant and interesting surprise. I remember on our first trip, wondering if the school would be like what I expected, and to be honest, some of the things that I thought I would see, I did. I knew the student body would be dominantly hispanic, I expected to hear a lot of Spanish, so in that regard, I was correct; however, it's important to realize that it's a High School, the students are all full of hormones and energy, so of course some students were going to be more boisterous and loud and of course they're going to swear, they're teenagers. I failed to look at the school through a non biased lens. I only looked at the location, not the people. There was that one altercation in the hallway, but you know what, now that I've changed my opinion, I realize that it's not because of the school or the location or the past history of the city, it's because "teenager", that's why. This experience is great in 407, but would be in my opinion even better for an FNED 346 class where race and gender and stereotypes are discussed. I truly hope that this program is adopted by FNED 346 because I wish I had these experiences when I took it. For that class, I worked at a High School in Providence and just from that, my preconceptions of inner city schools were changed, never mind if I had done this type of observation. In the link below, I recommend taking a look at the "How an area looks" paragraphs and think about our I-spy activity on the bus.

http://www.qualitydigest.com/inside/quality-insider-article/danger-preconceptions.html

1 comment:

  1. Really, I couldn't agree more... It was incredible to see another group of students experience what we had during our first visit. It made me realize just how far our class has come since the being of the semester. It also made me feel like I belonged to the District C community, leading our guests through the halls. When Dr. H asked the PE/Health students questions on the bus ride home, I listened, somewhat defensively I must admit, to the other classes' comments about the situations they had observed. I could still hear their misconceptions in their explanations. Just like we had on our first trip, they mistakenly let a small sampling of observations shape their opinion of what the school was like. I was so amazed at how much our multiple experiences had shaped our opinions and I am very thankful for the opportunity to view other education majors experiencing what we had gone through, it significantly changed how I feel about my presence at District C.

    I also surprised myself with the strong feelings and emotions I felt when some of our guests made positive comments about how great a student or teacher or class was. My heart filled with pride. I was so excited that others could see what our class could, that the culture that has been created in District C was amazing. And I thought to myself, "I'm so proud to have this opportunity to be part of the community at District C!"

    ReplyDelete